Tuesday, August 13, 2013

More London, Belgium, and Dublin


I’m the worst, I know. 3 weekends have passed since I’ve posted. But I was busy, and then it got harder and harder to post because more and more had happened. Spiraled.

The first of those 3 weekends- Halfway weekend, I went to London with my friend Darcy. Oh boy we did a lot. We went to the London Eye, Victoria & Albert Museum (amazing), Changing of the Guard, Kensington Créperie again, Tower of London, and Westminster. It was amazing. I’ll let my pictures tell about those. But some funny stories from that weekend- we were getting into a subway car and as we stepped in a pigeon flew out, right at us and Darcy screamed. It got on the stop before and was trying to get out the whole time and this huge group of guys in the car were obviously watching this, anticipating it and they just died. Great.  There was a lot of accidental J. Crew matching between Darcy and I, resulting in many references to Mary-Kate and Ashley winning London.  We also took a selfie with guards at Tower of London, so I think that was a win.

View from the Eye
Changing of the Guard


Favorite Westminster Picture (sorry couldn't use cameras in most parts)

The next weekend- Belgium with my mom.  After a quick pit stop in London Friday night (and quick trip to Platform 9 ¾), we took the train to Brussels on Saturday morning. Gotta say, train is the way to travel within Europe. We left our room in the King’s Cross Renaissance Hotel, and 45 minutes later were through security and customs, had grabbed a quick breakfast, and were departing for Belgium. While there were some minor difficulties when we first got there because much less English was spoken than we expected, it all went very well.  The fries and chocolate were on par.  And waffles and beer. It was just great. And Saturday we continued on the Brugge in Belgium via train, which was an adorable little town. My mom was not pleased when I did not inform her that there were exactly 336 stairs on our ascent in a tower in the main square. I assumed she realized that since it was one of the few things in English there. It was crazy though, I knew prior to going to Belgium that it was a country created by England as a buffer state prior to WWI, and consisted of little pieces of many countries, but was unaware of how that still affected it much today.  The country is split in half by languages, half of the country (including Brugge) speaks Dutch and half of the country (including Brussels) speaks French. So it was very, very interesting. So Saturday we spent in Brussels, and I have to say the Grand Place is my favorite European square yet, it’s absolutely beautiful.  Besides that, the Royal Palace was amazing. And bizarre because there was no admission or line for a tour. You just walked in the gates, and followed the people. It was beautiful and even better because it was free and quick.


Brugge 

Brugge
My favorite part of the Grand Place

Royal Palace

Inside the Royal Palace

Now this past weekend- Dublin with Caitlin and my cousin Stephen.  It was so much fun.  We went to the Guinness Factory Saturday, which was so great.  The best beer I have ever had in my life. And one of the best lunches as well. But the first beer Caitlin and I had there we looked at each other amazed, it was so smooth that you tasted it, but didn’t even feel it go down your throat. It was just an amazing experience there. And then the next day we started our day at the Kilmainham jail, a historic jail that housed many leaders of the Irish Liberation Army. From there, we went to the Jameson Factory tour.  Very similar to the Guinness tour, just on a smaller scale.  Caitlin was chosen as one of the 6 or 7 tasters who compared Jameson triple-distilled whiskey to Scotch double-distilled whiskey to American single-distilled whiskey. 5/7 said Jameson’s was the best. And then we went to HURLING. It was unreal. For those of you who don’t know what it is, it’s a Gaelic sport, which we described as field hockey combined with rugby.  It is so violent.  About 7 people went down with injuries during the game.  There were 62,000 fans there so it was just a lot of fun.

Sorry no Ireland pictures yet!

So there’s my life the past few weeks! Plus a few classes, formal halls, and some punting.