Sunday, June 30, 2013

And It Begins!

Apologies, the first part of this was supposed to go up yesterday but I didn't have wifi so bear with me. 

It's funny what comes to mind when I think about how excited I am for this to all start.  I’m not just excited to be here because it is legal for me to drink (although that is a huge selling point. Sorry Mom and Dad. Viewers at home- don't worry I waited until I left home to send this) but because child Erin loved it there. I say child Erin because it truly was another person. I mean I had bangs.  I was so young the last time I was there that all I remember is going to a random Hindi wedding (no idea if I even knew the people getting married), and getting lost in Harrods looking for the Hello Kitty section.  But by senior year of high school, I had been to London twice, and have yet to return. Kidding it really was second grade, I clearly wouldn't have forgotten who got married as a responsible 18 year-old. Bangs and Hello Kitty though, I'll give to you. However, I can tell you that going to England in second grade topped my Disney World trip the same year. Clearly it is a big deal. 


This morning I FINALLY reached the PKP program.  A miserable red-eye flight where I barely slept followed by a 2.5 hour wait for a bus, then a 3 hour bus ride and I am here. 


So far, the Yale kids have flocked to each other.  It began at the airport where I turned around on the way to the bus terminal and realized that there was a kid in a complete Yale sweats outfit.  Clearly a friend of mine.  We made our first non-Yale friend minutes later as we discussed how we were tempted to ask every person we saw on their own around our age if they were going to Cambridge.  Obviously the person behind us heard the word "Cambridge" and asked "Are you guys going to PKP? I think everyone I see is going there."  At the bus terminal we ran into another boy from Yale.  And a girl from Yale on the bus.

Tomorrow is a scavenger hunt which I am OBVIOUSLY pumped for.  I knew the two girls across from me at dinner were not like me when they shyly discussed how they didn't want to do it and wanted to hide in their rooms.  On the other hand, I asked if anyone had eyeblack.

King's College Chapel



Punting on the River Cam. My dorm is the building on the left.



My dorm, Bodley's Court.