Thursday, July 18, 2013

Struggles and Busy Schedules


Sorry it’s been a while!

Life’s great- there’s a fudge shop across the street from my dorm, as well as a café that has crepes, milkshakes, and pancakes.  And there’s a candy shop across from my classes.  Not tempting at all.  No struggles here.
For the past 3 weeks I’ve been told almost everyday not to get used to the weather, it will be cold and rainy soon.  It just keeps getting hotter.  Oh the lies.
However, the hotter it gets, the more people go punting (essentially the British version of gondolas).  And punting happens in the River Cam outside my dorm, so I spend a decent amount of time laughing at the failures as people attempt to do it on their own.  The poles used to push the punts are about 12 feet tall, so there are a lot of struggles.

Last weekend I went into London Friday night for my friend from school’s birthday and that was a blast.  Seeing half of JE and 5 boys from my hometown did not freak me out at all.  But really, it was great.  And I had a really dumb moment at dinner that night- a cake came out of the kitchen and I said “Oh a cake!  Hal, we should get you a cake!”  And then the cake turned, towards us “maybe we did get you a cake…”  Whoops..

After the struggle back to Cambridge the next day I had the most delicious dinner (dessert?) ever.  A peanut butter and banana crepe.  Anyone who knows me at all knows how much I would love that.
So the next day, I had a Spooks and Spies field trip to Bletchley Park, the code-breaking center for Britain during World War II. On the way there we stopped at the Cambridge Cemetery for Americans during World War II, which was incredibly interesting.  At Bletchley Park we saw the main building which is a mansion that is just an architectural mess. The family who lived there would go on vacation and come back saying “we want this from Spain” or wherever, so just combined so many styles.  So there we saw the first computer, which was enormous.  We also saw the ENIGMA cypher machine that the German’s used, and the Bombe, which the British used to decode it.  And we saw how all of that worked which was just absolutely mind-blowing.





So that’s it.  This weekend I have a London trip to Parliament and the Shakespeare Globe for Macbeth, which should be a blast.  Then a crazy few days with another Formal Hall Monday night, Final Paper for Spooks Tuesday, and Final Exam for Spooks Friday.  Almost halfway done.